Iraqi forces have recovered over 2,500 bodies buried under the rubble since the beginning of the military operations to recapture Mosul from ISIS terrorists up till now, brigadier-general Mohamed al-Jawari, head of the Civil Defense Department, told the Baghdad Post Friday.
The remaining bodies are those of ISIS terrorists. Recovering ISIS terrorists’ bodies falls within the duties of Mosul’s municipality. But the recovery of the bodies of Mosul’s civilians, based on the reports of their families, has been completed, he added.
Earlier on Friday, MP Zahid al-Khatoni said many residents of Mosul are still missing while the bodies of thousands others are still buried under the rubble amid government deafening silence.
In press statements, al-Khatoni said Mosul had become a pile of rubble after 80% of the city was destroyed, adding that over 25% of bodies have not been recovered yet.
Earlier this month, MP of Nineveh governorate Farah Seraj described the living conditions of Mosul residents as "tragic".
In a statement, Seraj said that over 4,000 bodies still lie under the rubble of the Old city of Mosul that had witnessed massive destruction.