At least 100 houses and 20 government facilities have been destroyed as a result of the military operation to recapture Rawa town in western Anbar. A large number of these houses have been detonated by ISIS terrorists before they withdraw from the city, Rawa local council deputy head Haqi Rajab al-Rawi revealed Tuesday.
In a statement, al-Rawi said failure to address the problem of booby-trapped houses in Rawa will hinder the safe return of internally displaced persons (IDPs) to the city.
This also poses a threat to those who currently live in the city, he noted.
Cooperating with Tribal Mobilization to defuse booby-trapped houses instead of engineering units of the army and al-Fahad Company is being discussed, he further stated.
Tribal Mobilization forces have been trained by foreign bomb-disposal experts, he said.
Rawi said the engineering unit of the seventh Division is clearing mines that had been planted on the roadsides leading to Rawa by ISIS terrorists.
The unit has defused hundreds of explosive devices on the main road connecting Ramadi and Qa’im, he pointed out.
In November, the Iraqi forces recaptured Rawa, the last town in the country controlled by ISIS.
On December 9, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi declared final victory over ISIS after Iraqi forces drove its last remnants from the country, three years after the terrorist group captured about a third of Iraq’s territory.