Iraq News - Local News - Baghdadpost

ISIS fires mortars on defenceless civilians in Mosul

Mosul Battle

Militias of ISIS terrorist organization have fired mortar shells on defenceless civilians in the districts of Methaq, Yafa and Summer in Mosul governorate.

A statement by the Federal Iraqi Police said Daesh or ISIS gangs shelled residential areas in the districts of Methaq, Yafa and Summer . They also reported that scores of injured civilians were ambulanced to al-Hamdaniya hospital to receive treatment.

Iraqi forces launched a renewed assault on eastern neighborhoods of Mosul a week ago, attempting to break a deadlock in the battle to retake the city from Islamic State militants.

The biggest military operation in Iraq since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion, the siege of Mosul is progressing more slowly than expected amid fierce resistance by the hardened militants of the extremist Islamic State group. The presence of more than a million civilians is also complicating the effort.

Before the operation for Mosul, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi said he expected it to be retaken by year’s end, but only about a quarter of the city is back under government control. After two months of grinding fighting and heavy casualties, the Iraqi government paused the campaign earlier this month to give its forces a chance to regroup.

Adjusting his predictions, Abadi said last week that security forces will need three more months to defeat Islamic State militants in the country. Mosul is the group’s last major urban stronghold in Iraq, though it still controls other towns and villages.

Meanwhile, U.S. military officials has earlier said that during operations to liberate Mosul, an airstrike against militants in a hospital compound’s parking lot may have also inadvertently caused the deaths of an undisclosed number of civilians.


Last Modified: Wednesday، 04 January 2017 09:37 PM
Read
Comments