Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said if his country was behind the attack on Saudi Arabia’s oil facilities, nothing would have been left of them to be prepared.
is no evidence and it would be a miracle if Saudi Arabia gave a proof that we
are behind the attack," Zarif said in an interview with CNN.
Zarif denied that Iran was involved in attacks on Saudi Arabia's oil facilities, which dramatically ratcheted up tensions in the region.
He said Yemen's Iranian-backed Houthi rebels, who claimed responsibility for the attack, have stepped up their military capabilities and were capable of conducting a sophisticated operation such as the one that knocked out half of the kingdom's energy production.
Probed further, however, Zarif was unable to provide proof that Houthis launched the drones and missiles. "I cannot have any confidence that they did it because we just heard their statement," said Zarif. "I know that we didn't do it. I know that the Houthis made a statement that they did it."
diplomat said that any attack on his country over a drone-and-missile strike on
Saudi Arabia's oil industry will result in "all-out war," further
pushing up tensions across the Persian Gulf.
Asked by CNN what would be the consequence of a US or Saudi strike, Zarif said, "All-out war."
It would cause "a lot of casualties," he stressed.
"I am making a very serious statement that we don't want to engage in a military confrontation," Zarif said. "But we won't blink to defend our territory."
He added that any sanctions placed by the US on Iran after pulling out of the nuclear deal would need to be lifted before any negotiations could be considered.
In a joint statement, Germany, Britain and France said Monday Iran was responsible for the attack on Saudi oil facilities earlier this month and called on Tehran to avoid further "provocation."
"It is clear for us that Iran bears responsibility for this attack. There is no other explanation," French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said in a joint statement after meeting on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly.
Emanuel Macron: It is clear for us that Iran bears responsibility for this attack. There is no other explanation.
United States and Saudi Arabia accused Iran of attacking Saudi Arabia's oil
infrastructure, while Iran denies this.