The Baghdad Post presents to its readers the latest news updates and breaking news today in Iraq.
Iraq to identify remains from ISIS graves in Sinjar
Iraq will begin identifying the remains of 141 people exhumed from mass graves that were found in the Yazidi region of Sinjar, Baghdad's forensic office has said in a statement.
This is part of an investigation by the Iraqi government and a special United Nations committee to collect evidence of crimes committed by ISIS.
The UN began its joint probe last year, exhuming the first mass graves of ISIS victims around the town of Kojo in Sinjar in March.
It said last month that 12 of 16 identified gravesites around Kojo had been exhumed.
Head of Baghdad's forensic office Zaid al-Yousef said the team took around 1,280 DNA samples from families in Sinjar to identify the remains.
“The problem is that for a lot of them, there is just a single survivor and the rest are all missing,” Yousef added.
"If we compare it with other terrorist attacks, we would find three, four, or five survivors for every missing person. But here, we have three, four, or five missing people for a single survivor," Yousef added.
Bomb wounds four firefighters Eastern Mosul
Four firefighters were injured late on Thursday after as a bomb exploded while they were extinguishing a fire that reached a number of farms in the town of Bashik, eastern Mosul province.
Local sources added that firefighter crews reached the area to contain the fire, however, a bomb exploded, targeting the fire engine.
A security source noted that the explosive had most probably been planted by ISIS jihadists.
A great number of farms, the majority of which are owned by the Kurdish residents, have been set on fire by unknown men in the disputed areas in the past three to four weeks.
NATO mission in Iraq not disrupted by tension over Iran
The head of the NATO mission in Iraq has said that the recent increase in tension between the US and Iran has not hampered the alliance’s work in the country.
Washington ordered the evacuation of non-emergency staff from its Baghdad embassy last month, due to an alleged growing threat from Iranian-linked Iraqi militias.
Canadian Gen. Dany Fortin, who leads NATO’s 500-strong training and advisory mission in Iraq, said his forces had “sufficiently mitigated” the threat and were able to continue working.
According to Fortin, his forces had “sufficiently mitigated” the threat from Iran and were not affected by current heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington.
Last month, the White House announced it was dispatching an aircraft carrier and B-52 bombers to the region in response to intelligence that Tehran was planning an attack against US targets, interests, or allies.
Shortly after, the US State Department ordered the departure of non-emergency US government employees from its embassy in Baghdad and consulate-general in the Kurdistan Region’s Erbil, as well as the suspension of normal visa services.
The German and Dutch Defense Ministries also temporarily paused their training missions in Iraq, although the Netherlands resumed its program a few days later.
Led by Canada, NATO’s non-combat mission includes hundreds of trainers and also involves setting up military schools to increase the professionalism of Iraqi forces.
Sairoon Alliance denies rumors regarding PM resignation
Iraq's Sairoon Alliance led by Shia leader Muqtada al-Sadr has denied rumors regarding a willingness by Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi to submit his resignation.
Alliance senior member Raaid Fahmy said in a Friday press statement that news regarding a resignation by Adil Abdul-Mahdi are not true.
Fahmy affirmed that the Iraqi Prime Minister is determined to complete its government program within a specific time period.
“Such rumors are fake news are being fueled by foreign bodies that have certain aims and goals,” Fahmy added.
France accused of 'subcontracting' execution of jihadists in Iraq