Iraq News - Local News - Baghdadpost

Iran warns US to remove troops from Syria, or be attacked

Donald-Trump

Iran has threatened to attack the United States military bases, if it refuses to remove troops from Syria, the semi-official Tasnim news agency reported.

“All US bases there in Syria are within the range of our cross-border weapons, and if these fail, we’ll strike them from within Iran,” Iran’s deputy defence minister Reza Talai-Nik was quoted saying.

US President Donald Trump declared, in December, plans to withdraw troops from Syria within 30 days, as he said ISIS had been “defeated” there. However, the troops hadn’t been pulled out yet, as the deadline was extended to several months.

Russia also backed Iran’s call urging Trump to deliver on his promise.
“We insist that the United States should fulfil its pledge and fully withdraw from Syria,” Russian deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov told Russian state-run Tass news agency.

Around 2,000 US troops, including special forces and training personnel, are still in Syria. Iranian forces are also active in Syria, where they are supporting the regime of Bashar al-Assad.

Last Modified: Tuesday، 12 February 2019 11:00 AM
Read
Comments