An Iranian official said that Iran will
resort to unspecified "counter-action" towards Poland if the international
conference on Iran in mid-February goes ahead, without elaborating.
Angered by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's announcement that Poland will host an international conference on Iran, Iranian authorities summoned Warsaw's top diplomat in the country and called off a Polish film festival.
The moves followed a tweet by Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, who denounced the upcoming summit as America's anti-Iran "circus," Associated Press reported.
Pompeo told Fox News before departing from Egypt's Cairo on Friday that an international conference on Iran and the Middle East will take place in Poland on February 13 and 14.
The official IRNA news agency said Iran conveyed its protest over this to Poland's Charge d'Affaires Wojciech Unolt, demanding that Poland not side with this "hostile move" by the United States against Tehran.
Separately, Iran's culture ministry in a statement said it was suspending "Poland's Film Week," supposed to be held in Tehran in late January, until Warsaw mends its ways and starts applying "appropriate behavior" towards Tehran.
Foreign Minister Jacek Czaputowicz said he hoped the conference will provide a new platform for international dialogue and allow the US and European Union to find a closer position on Iran.
After Pompeo's announcement, Zarif said on Twitter that the conference would bring shame on the Polish government.
Tehran and Warsaw have had good relations. The balance of trade between the two nations was $230 million in 2017, up from $80 million in 2015 when Iran and world powers agreed to a landmark nuclear deal that curbed Tehran's nuclear program in return for lifting harsh economic sanctions.
Under President Donald Trump, the US pulled out of that accord in May 2018 and imposed new and tougher sanctions on Iran last fall.
Earlier in January, the European Union agreed to enact sanctions against Iran's intelligence agency "for its assassination plots on European soil," Danish Foreign Minister Anders Samuelsen said.
According to the Danish Foreign Ministry, both Iran's intelligence agency and its director general of intelligence, Saeid Hashemi Moghadam, were now on the EU's terror list.
Samuelsen said the EU's decision marked "a huge victory."
"No other country's intelligence services are on the terror list," he said in a statement. "So it's a very clear signal we send to Iran today."
Samuelsen added that he believed the signal showed that the EU would "not accept such behavior in Europe."