A bomb attack claimed by ISIS killed
US troops in northern Syria on Wednesday, Reuters reported.
A US official who declined to be named said four US troops had been killed and three wounded in the blast, which an ISIS-affiliated site said was the work of a suicide bomber. Others said only two had been killed.
The US-led coalition fighting the militant group said that “US service members were killed during an explosion while conducting a routine patrol”, adding that it was still gathering details.
The attack, which took place in the town of Manbij, appears to be the deadliest on US forces in Syria since they deployed on the ground there in 2015.
A Pentagon spokeswoman said that only two US troops had previously been killed in action in Syria. There were two additional non-combat fatalities.
Last month, US President Donald Trump made a surprise announcement that he would withdraw all 2,000 US troops from Syria.