Iraq News - Local News - Baghdadpost

Saudi Arabia condemns Anbar terrorist attack

Smoke rises after a car bomb exploded in Iraqi border town of al-Qaim, Iraq January 11, 2019
Saudi Arabia strongly condemned a booby-trapped car blast that took place in a market in western Iraq's Anbar province, which left scores of persons dead and injured, a well-placed Saudi source said on Friday. 

The kingdom offered condolences to the families of victims and the Iraqi government and people, wishing a speedy recovery for the injured, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported. 

The source reiterated the Kingdom's support for Iraq in its war against terrorism and extremism.

A car bomb blast killed at least one person and injured more than a dozen the Iraqi town of al-Qaim on the Syrian border on Friday, a statement from Iraq’s military said, according to Reuters.

The military said one person was killed, and 16 people were injured. A local senior police source put the number killed at three, with 23 injured. The military and the police said four members of the security forces were among those injured.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast in al-Qaim, which went off in the middle of a busy market on Friday morning. It was described by the military in its statement as a terrorist attack.

Iraq declared victory over Islamic State in December 2017 after two years of fighting. However, ISIS militants have continued to carry out insurgent-style attacks on security forces across the country.

Earlier this week, a car bomb blast killed two people and injured six in Tikrit, a city 150 km (95 miles) northwest of Baghdad.

Al-Qaim was recaptured from ISIS in November 2017 and was the group’s last bastion in Iraq to fall last year.

Read
Comments