Iraq News - Local News - Baghdadpost

Basra provincial council urges gov't to remove war debris

June-29-Iraq-reconstruction-1300x500
The security committee in the Basra provincial council called on Saturday the central government and international organizations to assist the Basra province to get rid of war debris.
The security committee in the Basra provincial council called on Saturday the Federal Government and international organizations to assist Basra governorate to get rid of the war debris.

“There are vast areas in Basra, estimated at 1,250,000 square meters filled with mines,” Chairman of the Committee Jabbar al-Saadi said on Saturday.

He added that “These remnants of war have resulted in many victims.”

Anger is escalating in Basra as protesters attempted to storm into the local government building on Friday, before being stopped by security forces.

Eyewitnesses have told The Baghdad Post that protesters burned car tires in the streets leading to the building as they demanded the dismissal of the Basra governor and the provincial council.

Basra has witnessed violent protests in recent weeks over the new government's stance toward this strategic city and the demands of its people.

Voices have been calling for new protests and sit-ins in Basra in light of what activists describe as neglect of the province by the Iraqi central and local governments.

President Barham Salih warned on Saturday against the escalation of Basra’s “alarming” protests, calling to reach legal solutions to meet the demands of people.

Last week, riot police arrived at the building to disperse the demonstrators in front of the building's gate who prevented the exit of members of the Council.
Last Modified: Saturday، 22 December 2018 05:46 PM
Read
Comments