The US military and state department are recommending sending at least 3,000 more US troops to Afghanistan to fight the Taliban, US media reported on Tuesday.
Military leaders would also regain the authority to target Taliban leaders with air strikes under the proposals.
US President Donald Trump has not approved the plan, unnamed officials say. It may include a request that other Nato countries send 3,000-5,000 soldiers.
There are 13,000 NATO troops currently in the country, 8,400 of them US.
US combat operations against the Taliban officially ended in 2014, but special forces have continued to provide support to Afghan troops.
In February, the commander of US troops in Afghanistan Gen John Nicholson told a Senate committee there was "a shortfall of a few thousand".
He said he needed more troops to break a "stalemate".
Last month, the Taliban announced the start of their "spring offensive" a week after killing at least 135 Afghan soldiers in a military compound near the northern city of Mazar-e Sharif.
The group said it would use military alongside political tactics and that its main target would be foreign forces.
On Saturday Taliban militants seized a district just a few kilometres to the west of Kunduz in their continuing attempts to take the northern city. Thousands of families have been forced to leave their homes.
Latest reports suggest the Taliban now also control the main road to the east of the city which links the province to the north-east and is also the main supply route for the capital, Kabul.