Iraq News - Local News - Baghdadpost

Syrian regime dropped nearly 70,000 barrel bombs since 2012 – Report

A victim of barrel bombs dropped by the Syrian regime

Syrian regime forces has dropped nearly 70,000 barrel bombs since July 2012, according to a report published by the Syrian Network for Human Rights (SNHR).

The report entitled: “The Ruthless Bombing” says that the use of barrel bombs by the Syrian regime army manifest one of the most appalling ways in which the international community has blatantly let down the Syrian people as these barrel bombs have been forgotten almost completely in the last year with no condemnations to be heard about the repeated use of this barbarian type of weapons. 

Additionally, the report questions the possibility of accepting a regime that drops barbarian barrels on its own country without agreeing to any form of political settlements, except for one that rehabilitates it and only leads to giving some ceremonial ministries to its opponents.

Fadel Abdul Ghany, chairman of SNHR, says: “The repeated use of this arbitrary, indiscriminate weapon against residential communities is a message to the Syrian people that protecting civilians and the international law are mere illusions, and that you have to submit and accept the regime that is killing you. 

Security Council has to take decisive action against the Syrian regime’s use of arbitrary weapon on this large, widespread scale. The UN special envoy has also to play a more effectual role in putting an end to the winter of barrel bombs in Syria.”

The report documents the toll of barrel bomb use by Syrian regime forces from the first time it was used in July 2012 until December 2017 and the resultant casualties and attacks on vital civilian facilities. 

The report stresses that the use of barrel bombs haven’t stopped for even one month, including the months that saw de-escalation agreements or Geneva Talks.

Last Modified: Tuesday، 26 December 2017 01:05 PM
Read
Comments