After Qatar’s state news agency QNA has claimed the phone call between Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman and Qatar's Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani came at the request of US President Trump, political analysts said that these allegations reveal that Doha is not independent enough to take its own decisions.
On Saturday, Saudi Arabia cut off talks with Qatar after the leaders of both countries had a phone call suggesting a breakthrough in the Gulf crisis.
The phone call was the first publicly reported contact between the two leaders since the start of the crisis. QNA said the call was based on coordination of Trump who had earlier spoken with Sheikh Tamim.
But Saudi Arabia later issued a second statement citing an unnamed official at the ministry of the foreign affairs denying the QNA report.
“What was published on the Qatar News Agency is a continuation of the distortion of the Qatari authority of the facts,” the Saudi official said.
“The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia announces the suspension of any dialogue or communication with the authority in Qatar until a clear statement is issued clarifying its position in public.”
Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain cut diplomatic and trade links with Qatar on 5 June, suspending air and shipping routes with the world’s biggest exporter of liquefied natural gas, which is home to the region’s biggest US military base.
Al-Riyadh newspaper quoted Jordan’s former information minister Saleh al-Qallab as saying that all foreign and Arab mediations practiced since the beginning of the Gulf crisis have failed.
If the Qatari government is looking for a solution to the conflict, it does not need any mediation, he noted.
He also pointed out that to put an end to the stalemate, Tamim has to head to Riyadh as the kingdom’s wise leadership will not hesitate to solve it for being keen on the Qatari people and the return of Doha to the Arab and Gulf spheres.
He said that QNA’s recent claims stress the fact that Tamim’s decision is not independent.
Tamim’s father Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa and his Foreign Minister Hamad bin Jassem are the ones who lead these maneuvers, he further stated.
Qallab also said that the two Hamads control Tamim, he said, adding that if he had a real willingness, he would have resolved the crisis during the phone call with the Saudi crown prince.
In addition to this, political analyst Khalid al-Zaatar told the Saudi newspaper that QNA’s distortion of facts unveiled that the political decision in Doha is contested by many countries. These countries are attempting to force Doha to walk into a dark tunnel that does not serve its interests.
After Saudi Arabia cut off talks with Qatar, it is expected that the demands’ ceiling will be raised to become 14, he noted.
He further stated that the new demand is requesting Doha to draft a clear policy different from the one currently adopted, paving the way for a real dialogue with the four boycotting countries.
Any agreement to be reached under Hamad regime’s current policy will vanish into thin air, Zaatar added.
Moreover, al-Riyadh newspaper quoted political analyst Maneef Ammash as saying that QNA recent allegations concerning the phone call between the Saudi crown prince and Qatar's Emir Tamim confirm that there is a strong power struggle between al-Wajba palace and the Gulf country’s ministries of defense and foreign affairs.
Ammash attributed this to the influence of the Muslim Brotherhood and agents of Mullah’s regime, who are attempting to hijack the Qatari political decision.
Qatar is ensnared in a Tehran-Ankara web in which these powers try to cripple Doha’s decision-making and dominate it, he noted.
He further stated that Doha is currently at a serious crossroad that can change the future of the country and its people.
Thus, Qatar’s leadership has to play a historical role by rescuing the country from a grave crisis, he concluded.
Add Comment E-mail will not be published. Please fill required fields. *